Sunday, June 24, 2012

Note to Self: Walk = Hike 


So...I'm trying to meet people in Addis, preferably interesting and friendly people. A friend from UT suggested I get in touch with a girl who was here last summer. I emailed her and she suggested I join something called the Hash Harriers walk/run group on Saturdays. She connected me with her friend, Nibret, who filled me in on the details. I showed up on Saturday at 2:00pm at the Hilton parking lot, and had absolutely no idea what to expect. The first thing I noticed was that I was early, but it gave me ample time to meet and greet, and it was an interesting mix of people who were there for the run and those that came for the socializing. The second thing I noticed was that this was not your typical run/walk group. There were whistles being blown to call us to attention and a couple of the older men were wearing kilts and tall socks. I quickly learned that this was a walk/run/drinking group. :)

After everyone had gathered (it was quite a large group), we headed outside of town. It was so wonderful to get outside the city and breathe some fresh air! We divided into the walk/run groups and followed our hares (leaders) for our "walk." However, this was not a walk. It was a very intense hike often at very steep inclines through the forest. There were many prickly bushes that I had to avoid, branches to step over, cliffs to descend. Thank goodness I dressed appropriately and was wearing sturdy shoes. Along the way, we encountered many adorable goats (and children), and stopped in holds to enjoy the gorgeous views.

Upon completion of the 1.5 hour "walk," we returned to our starting point for beers and coke, and as I quickly learned, to participate in the Hash rituals. I was called into the middle of the circle as a Hash virgin, and while they sang a song, I had to drink a cup of beer. Any I didn't finish had to be thrown over my head. Luckily, I finished the whole glass. :) Now that I have been officially inducted, I think that I will have to return. They do a different route every Saturday, and I would love to leave the city for another "walking" adventure! And next week, I will bring my camera, so you can share in the gorgeous views.


No comments:

Post a Comment